Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Over and Out

My Summit experience this year has been so full of challenges, dedication, hard work, achievement, and, above all, FUN! :) As I spend my next two years at Drury, I will definitely continue to benefit from the work that's been done through Summit. I've developed so many contacts with people around the Springfield community, and I've established a reputation for myself with important people connected to Boyd, Central, and even the Drury administration. If I wouldn't have lived in Summit this year, my experience at Drury would have been marked with more individual volunteer work and much less involvement around the Springfield community.

The greatest thing I learned from living in Summit is that it really is possible for a group of students to make a true impact on their community. That being said, I feel that the impact we've made can be seen, not only at Boyd, but also at Drury and in the surrounding community. Visibly, we've planted flowers at the Victims Memorial Garden, we're going to be planting a tree behind Summit Park, and we've worked at the Community Garden. Not so visibly: we've educated 220 Boyd students on the importance of sustainability and environmentalism.

In hindsight, if I had the chance to change something about Summit, it would be involvement in making our house carbon-neutral. We did attempt to make changes to this, but I don't think we were as adamant as we needed to be to see some actual action.

My advice to future Summit groups is get started early and work until the end. The sooner you contact your organization, the faster you can get to volunteering and the more impact you will have!

Peace out Summit! What a long, strange trip it's been. :)
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment