Thursday, May 12, 2011

The End is Nigh (Proszek)

Boxes upon boxes, bare walls, and summer expectations -- Summit isn't Summit anymore. Before I go let's take a look back at what this year has been like:

If I had to describe Summit in just one sentence it would be this: You don't know what you have until it's gone. I've done my fair share of complaining about the project, the house, and the class over the past two semesters. But if I really think about it I've had a great time with my group. When Andrew handed me the certificate for the class I realized that the classes we had taken were also worth it. And as for the project? That tree still looks great.

The most beneficial aspect of Summit, to me, is the resume building component of the experience. Having the ability to tell potential employers that I have engaged in a leadership community wherein I educated young minds about sustainable living is an important part of my college experience. This opportunity has made me a much more appealing candidate for internships and possibly entry positions on my career path.

The greatest thing I learned about living in Summit was compromise. I am generally a person who does the whole "my way or no way" style of living. However when you have three other guys in the same living space (something that is new to me, having only one brother) you cannot control everything around you. People have their own habits and lifestyles and at some point you have to stop being so damn stubborn and meet them halfway. It's funny that I say this in principle because I am the worst at putting my own advice into practice. Still, learning is learning just the same.

Our biggest impact is on the Boyd Community. The Green Team at Boyd was a good idea but did not have the necessary funds to keep going year after year without someone to get the parents more involved. Thanks to our help with the garden and other events the parents would not be as involved with Boyd's commitment to sustainability. I feel that without our group the Green Team would not have been as successful in the coming years at it will be now.

Not living in Summit meant that I would have lived off campus. Honestly I'm not quite sure how it would have changed my experience. I know that I would have spent less time on campus and that has both pros and cons. I know that it would not have given me the career opportunity that I needed but that isn't really related to the overall experience, not directly anyway. Overall I'm glad I lived in Summit but I'm not quite sure how living elsewhere would have changed the experience for me.

There's 3 things I would change:

1. Classes- Instead of once a month on a Friday how about once a week for 1 hour, 3 times a month. This would make blog submissions and activities much easier to facilitate and would give students some regularity instead of saying, "Oh yeah we have Summit this week, just do it every week.

2. Community- The groups really didn't know much about each other, not much of a community. Having a retreat that lasts one weekend for Summit residents could be helpful in creating a better community. I like that we have the socials, but they don't really promote the community as much as try to sustain it.

3. Coursework- I liked having the blog but this could be so much more useful to the students if it were formatted as a portfolio for job opportunities. The blog can be a big part in showing employers how students integrate social media with their work. If we make a portfolio as the big part of class I think it wold be more beneficial than small homework things.

The one piece of advice I would give to Summit groups is to know what you have before you leave -- an opportunity. As many hardships as you will face this semester, always remember that you were picked from a large group and that you have been given a privilege to make Drury a bigger partner in the community. Don't let that slip away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment