Thursday, May 5, 2011

The End's Not Near (It's Here)

1.       In just a sentence describe your Summit Experience this past year?
It was cool. 

2.       What aspects of Summit do you feel will be beneficial to you as you continue your Drury experience?
There were two major aspects of my Summit experience - the living situation and the volunteer work. Both the living situation and the volunteer work helped me to work better within a community of people. I have gained skills in communicating my thoughts and listening to others' ideas. For the rest of my life I am going to be in situations where I have to work with people in order to accomplish and individual or common goal. Summit has taught me the skills I need to work well with others. 
I have also learned to be patient and deal with problems as they come to me. Sometimes things happen outside of my control, and when working with a group of people there are even more factors that are outside of my control, because we all have to work with one another and accommodate for each others' needs and wants. 

3.       What was the greatest thing you learned from living in Summit Park?
The greatest thing I learned form living in Summit Park? That's tough to say. I've learned a lot about working within a team, and working with others and educating them about a cause. As a result of living in Summit and working with our cause, I have also learned a lot about living sustainably. 

4.       What impact do you feel you have made on the community along with your agency and why?
I think that we have taught some bright young children about how to live sustainable. We've taught them that they aren't helpless against huge issues like climate change or deforestation or pollution. I think we've done a little bit to raise awareness about the importance of the environment. We've worked with the kids, and some of them maybe have heard us talk, but didn't really listen. But I think that of all the kids we've worked with there were a few kids who we did affect, and that makes it worth it to me.  

5.       If you would have not had the chance to live in Summit, how would have this changed your experience at Drury?
I would not have had the chance to become as close with my current housemates. I wouldn't have had a chance to meet and and teach and learn from all of the people at Boyd Elementary. I also wouldn't have learned as much about the other nonprofits in Springfield, the ones that other Summit Park participants worked with. 

6.       Looking back at the Summit Experience over the past year what would you have changed and why?
I wouldn't have changed anything. I think some things could have gone more smoothly, but we learned valuable lessons from the "mistakes" we made. 

7.       What is some advice you would give to future Summit groups?
Be willing to compromise and work with one another. Realize that you're all in this together, so do what you can to help, and your team members will look at you as an example and be motivated. Take into consideration that nonprofits are difficult to get a hold of sometimes, but stay persistent. Persistence is key to getting anything done. No matter what you do, you'll run into difficulties, but you just have to take it in stride. The world is a massive place, but there's a place in it for you. Let go of any desire to control everything you do and everything that happens to you, because it's not going to work. Instead accept every situation you encounter and every person you meet for exactly who they are, no better and no worse. 




-Desirée

No comments:

Post a Comment