Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Why Summit is the Place for Me- Scherrer


          Living in Summit for the past month has been more than I expected, in all aspects of the word. It has been more fun, more excitement, more work, and more of a community than I had anticipated. I originally chose to live in Summit Park because of the opportunity it would give me to make a difference in the lives of local Springfield community members. I became even more interested when I discovered that there would be an option to live in a carbon-neutral home and that I would have the chance to implement an environmentally friendly project. I was excited for the possibility to live in a house, a real house, with my friends and work with elementary school kids at Boyd!
        I hope to gain many valuable experiences throughout the 2010-2011 school year in Summit. First of all, I wish to better my friendships with all of the members in our Summit group and I hope to better our professional relationships as well. I would like to build a good reputation at Boyd Elementary with the principal, teachers, and Think Green advisors. In addition to cementing my friendships and professional relationships, I hope to truly educate the Think Green members at Boyd and the other Boyd students. Using our leadership skills to direct Think Green meetings and give eco-friendly in-class presentations to students of all ages, my group and I should be able to introduce the children to a new realm of “green” culture. I hope to feel fulfilled and accomplished by the end of the school year, knowing that I made a difference in the lives of young “green thinkers,” and promoted environmentally friendly practices in the next generation.
         I undoubtedly see the Summit Park project impacting my life in a positive light. I will be able to share my passion for environment and eco-friendly practices with my peers, local school students, and professionals in the local area. I have high hopes for the months to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment