Friday, September 24, 2010

Summit Rivera

I wanted to live in Summit because it's a great opportunity to develop a community service project in an area that I've never lived in before (as I am an international student), and look into the different kind of needs that this area has as opposed to the community service projects I've carried out in my own country, Guatemala. The housing is awesome, and that was a great motivational factor to get involved with the project.

So far, living in Summit has been great. I have no complaints, and it is a great step up from the dorms. The housing is beautiful and very well located. I've learned that the house is designed to comply with the environment, and certain things have been modified to make sure we live in a Think Green state of mind. I've never before lived in a house where we recycle glass, plastic, and paper (in Guatemala, recycling is not a priority for most people, unfortunately). This has made me grow into the good habit of always recycling, and being conscious also about the energy and water consumption. We met up with Wendy Anderson to talk about how else we can be conscious of things, and I learned certain aspects of the house that were done on purpose that I was unaware of up until that point. Because our project (Go Green at Boyd) is very at level with the mentality behind the housing at Summit, I'm excited to start out with the Boyd kids and to learn things that I've never thought of before until now that I'm exposed to the knowledge and good habits behind being environmentally conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment