Friday, September 24, 2010

Summit: A Journey Unfolding

Thus far my experience in Summit housing has been wonderful.  Apart from the immediate perks and comforts of the actual houses, the atmosphere of the house has also been very enjoyable.  There have not really been any huge conflicts and everybody seems to enjoy each other’s company.  Being a fairly different living situation then what I have ever been accustomed to, I have adapted well.  Summit, like college park, challenges its inhabitant to support themselves and their habits without any outside assistance.  Not having an authority figure or RA telling me what to and what not to do might seem like a dream.  However, it has been quite a task being in charge of my own wellbeing.  I’ve learned to cooperate with my housemates to find routines and schedules that work for us.  Having my own room for the first time in nearly ten years has been a drastic change as well.  While that has strangely affected my sleeping habits, I have been working to find a groove that works for me.  I thoroughly enjoy that fact that both the upstairs and downstairs groups in my Summit house are genuinely connected.  Being able to talk to and hang out with any one individual in the entire house or go out as a big group has made all the difference for me.  With this being said, everyone has their own time either alone or with friends outside which helps balance any overwhelming or suffocating feelings that might be derived from hanging out with the same people all the time.  Also, being good friends with the people in the house makes it easier for outside friends to feel comfortable when hanging out at the house.  Overall, I think that while Summit has presented me with some challenges, it has so far been an amazing experience and I strongly look forward to working with my housemates on our Summit project.  Each and every person in my group brings great contributions to the group which should make for an outstanding project come the end of this school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment