Thursday, February 17, 2011

Summit This Semester

The new semester at Summit has had a slow beginning because of the snow days there have been whenever the group has planned an activity for certain dates. However, I did many things at the beginning of the semester where I lacked a lot last semester: for example, I visited the recycling place near Drury and was very impressed by the organization of the recycling process here. Although I have recycled, by placing different cardboard, metal, plastic, and glass on different bins, I had never visited one of these places either here in Missouri, or in Guatemala. It was very exciting to see how it works, and I am looking forward in getting more involved in recycling for summit whenever my roommates and me make the trips to this recycling center this semester.
Besides recycling, we have gone to give a class at Boyd to fifth graders and recap with them the importance of being Green, and what it means to recycle, why we should do it, and what are different ways of doing it. The kids were very engaged and cooperative, and we divided them into groups to make it more effective and dynamic. Afterwards, we shared the results with the class, and ended up treating them to organic juice and bars. We also left them a little Valentine's Day recycling present, a little flower pot of forget-me-nots and some other plants they can grow by themselves. It was a fun activity and I think the kids enjoyed it because of how engaged and happy they were.

So far, regardless of the obstacles of the weather and managing the schedule with Boyd, things are looking good... I know my roommates have been on top of organizing the Green Carnival and we will probably be partnering with a lady who will organize an activity for the children for Earth Day. So far, its looking good, and I'm enjoying Summit as much as last semester.

1 comment: