Thursday, February 17, 2011

Some Sun for Summit

It's hard to believe it's already February... and that it's 70 degrees outside! But it is even harder to believe that our Summit project is more than half way over with. January and most of February, as Anna and Drew both mentioned, were covered in snow and ice; thus, rendering our service efforts ineffective. But thanks to the sun and higher temps, we finally got our project rolling again on February 11th with an in-class presentation discussing "green" living and sustainability. If the weather cooperates, we will be doing our second installment of that in-class presentation next Thursday for the other 5th grade class.

For this semester, I'm incredibly excited for our Green Carnival (as Anna also mentioned). Our plans have developed from simple craft giveaways and food, to green games, presentations, and family participation. To my delight, and surprise, there are a couple of teachers from Central High School who have also been planning a similar event, and we will be meeting with them and their students next Thursday to discuss collaborative efforts!

The Summit class project/activity that I'm looking forward to most is the technology fast. Although when this was proposed on the syllabus there were loud grumbles, I think it will be a great experience. I'm interested to see how I will feel after 24 hours without my phone or computer. Will I survive? :)

This semester has made me a stronger leader in that I am improving my communication skills, my interpersonal skills, and my skills as a manager and coordinator. I do not plan on taking on additional leadership roles in the group this semester. We are all doing fairly well in the roles we already fill.

Until next month!
Peace, love, happiness,
Amy "Millie"

No comments:

Post a Comment