Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Intentions, Contentions, Redemption -Jim Proszek

Let me start off by agreeing with Desiree's post. Time and communication were not our friends this semester. That being said, let me explain why this is true in my case.

Intentions: Last semester I joined this group under the premise that I would be coordinating with an after school group at Boyd Elementary school. Accordingly, I planned my schedule to accommodate the extra curricular Think Green meetings. I left a large gap in my schedule after 3 pm and before 10 am.

Contentions: Instead, our interaction with Boyd elementary began in late October with our garden clean up project. Although I was able to attend this project as well as the 2, yes only 2, meetings of the Think Green club, I was able to attend only 1 of the class-room presentations at Boyd which were the primary contributor to the group hours because these presentations occurred during my college class time. Furthermore our group communication was poor (if anyone wants to accuse me of throwing Amy or anyone else under the bus on this sentence, trust me, the accusation is not singular) enough that information about what time we would go to Boyd was given too close to change class plans.

I have made the choice this month to skip one of my classes at Drury to participate in our 1st grade class presentation about wind energy and sustainability. It went well, and the kids enjoyed their organic snack afterward, just as our Think Green group enjoyed our second meeting creating more crafts and discussing ideas for environmentally sustainable projects next semester.

Redemption: I understand how things will be now for this group to achieve 15 hours. Instead of a primarily after-school partnership, I need to devote my time to primarily in-school activities. I have made my schedule accordingly for college classes. I hope to make up the hours I have missed this semester by attending all of our classroom events next semester and organizing some events.

Summit so far, is much different than I first pictured. It is time, as we look to next semester, to adapt to the changes we have seen before eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment