Sunday, December 12, 2010

the Finale

School has been really busy. And the Boyd group can only meet at certain times. Therefore, I haven't gotten to meet when they met this month. But I hear they did cool things. Like the did in-class presentations on weather. Which I would have loved to go to, but I couldn't. I think they did end up making pinwheels and talking about windpower. I haven't read their blogs yet, so I don't know.
Which brings me to the problem of communication.
It's a problem.
Sometimes it's difficult to communicate with Boyd. Sometimes it's difficult for everyone in the house to communicate. Because everyone's really busy.

They also helped with the Green Team after school thing. But I had school stuff, again.
BUT
but but but.
I have been able to make notebooks out of recycled goods. So that's good. That's a task that has very flexible hours. The neat thing about that is that I can make these notepads and then then Think Green can sell them and raise money for the cause.

I think in the semester we'll be able to get started earlier in the semester than we did last semester because we have a handle on it now. Hopefully over winter break I'll be able to research more environmental issues and activities and ways of recycling so that we'll have some fresh ideas for the next semester.
Because of this past semester of working with Boyd, I've learned more about the issues because having this product has encouraged me to research more. I was relatively well-informed before, but now I feel like I'm always learning more and more (and there will always be more and more to learn).

As far as the Wellness Program and Stress Free Now go, there were good parts and bad parts. I liked the yoga class. I'd taken yoga before, but never with this teacher, so I learned some poses that I'd never tried before. I didn't get into Tai Chi. As the lady said, Tai Chi requires a really slow learning process, and she had to cram in a lot (even though it didn't seem like a lot) into a short session, so I probably didn't learn as much or learn it in quite the right way. I was interested because Tai Chi seems like a neat thing to do, but for the limitations of this class, time and otherwise, it didn't do much for me.
I was confused by the acupuncture because there were implications that we would all be getting acupuncture. But we didn't get acupuncture. I was interested in the subject matter the acupuncture man talked about, but because he had offbeat ideas and was aware that he was talking to a group of people who may or may not want to be there or may or may not think that he's crazy, he didn't really seem that relatable. It sort of felt like he was trying to sell it to us, giving us more the good parts than a realistic view of what acupuncture could do. The situation may have put him on the defense. I'm still interested in acupuncture, even though it's probably not something I can afford at this point in my life.
Before we started this program, I'd actually been pretty interested in meditation, and some of the types of meditation we had to do I liked, but some of them I didn't like as much. There are some podcast episodes that did more for me.
On one hand, I think it's a good idea to introduce these new ideas to people who may have ignored or rejected them before. I think this could really help some people, but there are also plenty of people who aren't interested in meditation or yoga or eastern medicine, and just aren't going to be.
This winter break I'm looking forward to reading and maybe starting some new projects and renewing my Netflix account.

-Desirée

No comments:

Post a Comment